First appeared in War of Indines.
- "All that exists is my world. Let me show you the chaos behind these eyes."
"As a boy, I would wander, hoping to find the doors to the faraway places... but when I faced them at last, I understood the truth... we are all just accidents born of chaos, eventually to vanish into void. When I saw that, the places that held so much magic for me turned cold and ugly. But now, there was no escape from them."
"To watch your master slaughter a monster, or even a world of monsters, seemed like nothing to me. But to see a member of my own race, one who had placed her trust in me, be so casually discarded... It made me realize what I served... and what I was to her."
From a young age, Zaamassal had a different grip on reality and perception than those around him. His additional perceptions made him an outcast among peers, until he discovered the Planestalkers, an order of knights sworn to defend Indines from the horrors that lurk outside space and time.
On a routine mission, Zaamassal was lost between the dimensions, wandering for an eternity, surviving only because death did not live in the realms he traversed. The chaotic infinities twisted his unique senses further, and over uncountable years he learned just how strong the control his own senses had over reality was.
Plot during WarEdit
After wandering for countless ages, Zaamassal came to serve Oriana, a godlike being born from the primal chaos of the universe, who saw great potential in his abilities. Oriana sends Zaamassal back to Indines to capture Cherri Seneca and bring her back to the Plane of Chaos, to serve a further purpose in Oriana's plans. Zaamassal manages to thwart Luc and Khadath two agents sent to protect Cherri, and captures and returns her to the plane of chaos. On his quest, however, he develops a certain fondness for the girl.
Plot during DevastationEdit
When Oriana discards Cherri's spirit to use her body as a portal into Indines, Zaamassal is mortified. After being hardened to all horrors in the universe, he is shaken awake by this ruthless act, and realizes what sort of creature he has been aiding. Using his ability to warp reality, he gives Cherri a new form and helps her to escape back to Indines, now in the form of a mystical dream-creature called Lymn. Knowing that he has to challenge Oriana, but that he cannot return to the Planestalkers after fighting against them, he searches for new allies to aid him in the fight to protect his world.
Turning his gaze to the north, Zaamassal travels into Willat, searching for the power he needs to challenge Oriana himself. At the present, his whereabouts are unknown. What will he discover there? And what will he give up, for the sake of love and revenge?
10 Facts about ZaamassalEdit
- Zaamassal was an early member of the Planestalkers (before they even used that name), and joined the organization very shortly after it was formed. He was among the first rangers to be lost in service, inciting better safety precautions and protocols for future rangers.
- Zaamassal has always had an aptitude for Planar Magic, and as a young boy, he would sometimes see “faraway places”. His parents and friends believed these were just imaginary worlds, but Zaamassal later learned he had a knack for peering through the veil to Limbo and to different dimensions.
- Zaamassal has the ability to create small-scale planar distortions around his body, altering the rules of reality in his immediate vicinity. He can only do this through very intense focus and clearing his mind, which took years of training under Oriana.
- Zaamassal fights with a dagger called a swordbreaker. It is designed to parry attacks and disarm opponents.
- Before joining the Planestalkers, he was an exceptionally skilled ranger in the Jeffrian military.
- Zaamassal is a skilled bard. His instrument of choice is the lute, and he was known in his company to be excellent singing company for mealtimes.
- He wrote a series of haunting poems, called “The Faraway Places”. Though the book is very obscure now, a few collectors still possess it.
- Zaamassal and Hepzibah were acquainted before his disappearance, as they were both in service to the Jeffrian Royal army at the same time, though they were not close acquaintances or great friends.
- He has no living relatives, friends, or family in Indines since his disappearance was over 200 years ago.
- When he was a ranger, he had a dream of quitting military service and rediscovering the continent of Amalao.
AppearanceEditZaamassal has long dark hair and dresses in plate mail with a long blue cloak. He has a distinctive cross-shaped scar on one cheek.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
Zaamassal is a stance-based fighter, able to change his fighting style to match his opponent. Additionally, he has limited control over space, able to warp his attacks to strike from further away or teleport himself.
Game appearances and playstyleEdit
- Zaamassal utilizes different stances called paradigms in order to gain distinct advantages in battle. He switches these stances rapidly to meet the needs of his situation, and he has tricks in his arsenal to deal with almost every situation--provided he has time to set them up.
- Zaamassal gives ranged attacks to his allies, letting them strike anywhere they wish on the battlefield.
- Zaamassal's Striker card has a variety of effects related to range, soak and movement.
Character Kit in BattleConEdit
|Ability Name||Character Version||Description|
Zaamassal has 5 Paradigm Cards, and begins a match with none of them active.
He may have at most 1 paradigm active at a time. He applies the current paradigm to all of his attacks, just like a second style.
Whenever Zaamassal would be stunned or assumes a new paradigm, he loses all of his active paradigms.
Zaamassal has 5 Paradigm Cards, which he places face-up into unoccupied spaces of the board before the Duel begins.
Whenever Zaamassal moves onto a Paradigm Card, he may pick up that Paradigm Card and apply it to all of his attacks. If he already has a Paradigm Card active, he places the old one down into his current space, replacing the one he picked up.
|Multiple Dimensions||EX||Zaamassal has five Paradigm Cards, and begins a match with none of them active.
He may have at most 2 paradigms active at a time. He applies current paradigms to all of his attacks, just like extra Styles.
Whenever Zaamassal would be stunned or if he would gain a third Paradigm, he chooses which of his active Paradigms to deactivate.
|Parallel Universes||Almighty||Zaamassal has five Paradigm Cards, and begins a match with none of them active.
He may have at most three paradigms active at a time. He applies the current Paradigms to all of his attacks, just like extra Styles.
Whenever Zaamassal would be stunned or if he would gain a fourth, he chooses which of his active Paradigms to deactivate.
Personal Styles and BasesEdit
Additional Cards and TokensEdit
|Card Title||Card Effect|
|Paradigm of Fluidity||
Before Activating: Move up to 1 space.
End of Beat: Move up to 1 space.
|Paradigm of Haste||
You win priority ties without clashing.
Opponents adjacent to you may not move.
|Paradigm of Pain||
On Damage: The opponent loses 2 life.
|Paradigm of Resilience||
Start of Beat: You gain Soak 2.
After Activating: You lose all Soak (including Soak from other sources).
|Paradigm of Distortion||
Attacks at range 4 do not hit Zaamassal.
Zaamassal's attacks always include range 3, even if they wouldn't normally.
Unofficial Rule FAQs Edit
- Q: If a player moves into a space adjacent to me while I have Paradigm of Haste active, can he continue moving?
- A: No, they are unable to continue moving once they move into the space adjacent to you. (Source: War rulebook)
|Planeslaver||Support||2~4||Before Activating: Move an opponent at range 1 directly to any space on the board.|
|Zone Blade||Ante||Your attack has 1~3 range. Ignore the range printed on your styles and bases.|
|Stalker's Sword||Boost||You have Soak 3. After your attack activates, lose all Soak effects.|
|"Soon, you'll see my reality."|
Pixel Tactics UnitEdit
|Appears in: Pixel Tactics||STR||LIFE|
|Leader||This leader's attack is ranged. All heroes in this unit have ranged attacks.|
|Flank||Forerunner and Supporter have Ranged Attack.|
|Order||Do 5 damage to all heroes in both flanks.|
|At the start of your turn, move this disc to within 1 inch of any allied disc.|